- They practice holistic medicine. Holistic medicine is a way of treating a patient by using natural methods such as acupuncture, chiropractic, herbal medicine and diet, to treat the whole patient. Holistic veterinarians not only look at symptoms like a regular veterinarian would, but also look at diet, the environment, stress, genetics and past history. With this all this information they can treat the whole problem, not just fix the complaint.
- The treatments they use are more natural. The types of treatments used are safe and natural substances such as herbs, vitamins, homeopathics and even foods. They are safer for the animal, the animals respond well to them, and they have little to no side effects.
- They are very knowledgeable. Not only has your holistic veterinarian gone through the traditional medical training that a regular veterinarian goes through, they have also gone through additional training and certification in things such as acupuncture, chiropractic, homeopathy and herbal medicine.
- They practice complementary medicine. Most holistic veterinarians provide treatments and therapies that are a complement to what your regular veterinarian is doing. They can also use traditional diagnostic tests such as lab work and x-rays to help formulate a diagnosis. Occasionally holistic vets will recommend surgery or drugs in combination with the natural therapies, if they think that will be the best form of treatment for your pet.
- Your pet is going to live longer and feel better! While holistic medicine can treat many different conditions, its main focus is in preventive medicine and keeping the body healthy and in balance. All this will make for a happier, healthier, less stressed pet!
To find a holistic veterinarian in your area: